Sunday 30 March 2014

Exploring and Researching Concept

At this stage I am following the path of the water tank floor concept because I think that it will be more visually effective and incorporate the entire room better. I have been exploring this concept further by expanding on the possibilities of its components and researching them. 

This is a sketch of the tank on other surfaces in the kitchen. 

What does this idea connote?
  • personal attachment to water and nature
  • being in a river- stones
What are some other materials I could use?

How could I incorporate more of the homely ritual?
  • increase in... concentration- of plants?
  • increase in temperature- heated water =  pleasant under the foot. I must research algae that can resist high temperatures. 25-30˚C
Where will the water go?
  • Recycled in a water recirculation system
  • into the garden to feed the plants- make a system of irrigation. 

Research 

I used this website to find out if this water recirculation system would be achievable.
I discovered that this would be possible with several components:
  • reservoir (basin that collects water)
  • motor-driven pump in the reservoir that is submerged in water (this uses suction to circulate the water)
  • filter box for the pump so that debris does not get caught in the engine.
  • electrical outlet
I read Seaweeds by David Thomas to find out what the living requirements are for algae.
From this I established that they would be able to live in a tank so long as it contained sea water (35g/L), was exposed to light (kitchen's windows would do this) and had water.


No comments:

Post a Comment